Monday, January 23, 2012

Feeling grateful

Gratitude wall
We had quite a week! And, while I didn't capture many images with my camera, I'll give you a quick run down. About a foot of snow fell on Wednesday followed by a lovely ice storm on Thursday. The ice storm was just too much for the trees in our area-- with many of them falling, we lost power for about 30 hours.  It really wasn't so bad.  Scott was able to stay home for 2 days and he worked diligently around the house to clear the driveway, start up our gas fireplace for warmth and made some delicious AeroPress coffee (you gotta check out this coffee-making contraption)---and, many other tasks.  The word that best sums up this week for me is "grateful".  I'm so thankful for a God that has provided us with a home and kept us (and our home) safe, a husband that made our powerless home cozy & fun and the return of electricity!  

This past week also reminds me of our magnetic chalkboard wall in our kitchen. (It's yet another sign of Scott's handy work around the house-- a bump-free wall that was meticulously painted with several layers of chalkboard then magnetic paint.)  While our wall is often covered with our "to do list" or a meaningful verse from that week's sermon, it's currently riddled with a phrase (or a word) that reflect our thankful hearts.  
Some of my favorite sayings include "a beauty like Hanna Grace"; there's a magnet of a dog that looks like Jack and a phrase next to it that Scott added "welcome home giggles (Hanna) & wags (Jack & Jill-- yes, I, too, get excited when he comes home); other phrases added by Scott were "a chance to help", "a career" and "kitchen dances that outlast the song".  Some of mine included: "motherhood", "early morning runs", and "friends & family".  This work of art has been up since Thanksgiving and this blog has been a great way to remind me to be thankful for what I have right at this moment. You never know what tomorrow brings...for today my heart is full with thanks!  

2 comments:

  1. I love this feature in your house. It is so reflective of you guys! (and working with magnetic paint is no easy task)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words for the Mauss house to hear. Ryan and I have both been complaining a lot (well, I thought it was mostly Ryan and realized the apple doesn't fall far from the tree)and it has been a topic of discussion this week. We still have our "thankful list" up in the laundry room from Thanksgiving, but this was a great reminder to take a look at it. So much to be thankful for...thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete